April 28, 2011

Domo-kun (どーもくん)

Domo-kun is a Japanese animation character that I have grown to love during my time here in Korea.Domo-kun is offically the mascot for Japan's national broadcast corporation NHK, however; he is also the star of his own 30 second animation sketches also shown on NHK.

This is the first episode of Domo to ever be shown.


According to wikipedia, Domo-kun is a strange creature that hatched from an egg. His favorite food is Japanese style meat and potato stew. He hates apples (because of a mystery in his DNA) and he can only communicate with low pitched noises that sounds similar to his name. Domo-kun also is known to pass gas when he get nervous.


His best friends are a rabbit named Mr.Usaji, an old man named Grandpa and two bats named Maya and Mario.


Domo-kun's offical motto is "I am curious about everything and I get excited and thrilled everyday."


Domo-kun has recently become extremely popular in many Asian countries and the popularity is moving towards America. According to NHK, over 90% of Japanese school children recognize Domo-kun and I would believe the same statistic is true for Korean students. At least two students in every one of my classes has a Domo-kun pencil case.


All of this information pretty much points at one thing. I am Domo-kun. We share a lot of the same traits and habits. I am allergic to apples and I usually live my life by the same motto ("I am curious about everything and I get excited and thrilled everyday"). Our one difference is that I DO NOT pass gas when I am nervous.


Therefore, I have adopted the nickname Domo and I now collect Domo-kun memorabilia.


I now own a notebook, stationary, a cellphone charm, a camera case, stickers and a pillow.



Big name companies in America, like Target and 7Eleven, have even tried to take on Domo-kun as their own to enhance their advertising campaigns.
Check out 7Eleven's Domo-kun TV spots.



Check out Target's Halloween Domo-kun TV spot.



Since Domo-kuns birth on Japanese TV, there has been many new aminations created for his English market. Here are two episodes, Headphones and Camera. Both episodes do a good job at showing his curious and happy nature.





The end of this story is that I love Domo and I am pretty much the same person as him. Get ready America becuase I am bringing him back with me from Asia.

19 comments:

  1. I love the videos and pics on this site! Domo is so AWSUM! xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it :)
    where can i buy domo kun products??

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOMO CUTE LIKE HELL ! LOL xD Where can I buy Domo's Sweater? It is super AWESOME (;

    ReplyDelete
  4. like :]]
    Gusto ko mgpapic with Domo :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. wuaaaaaah! love it! *________*

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahah...i love domo kun so much ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. super !!! Domo is sooo cute !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Where you can buy that mobile... thing. xd i`m sorry my English is realy baddd. and i love the shoessss! why can i buy that?
    xluvyourblog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super ... i really really love it ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. where can i get that iphone domo kun case???

    ReplyDelete
  11. domo kun are so cool.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i thought he was domo-san!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Epic ! I have lots of domo things! Where did u get the phone skin?

    ReplyDelete